African Folktales - Story & Craft
Time & Location
About the Event
NOTE: These classes take place every Sunday at 10:00 am PT to 11:00 am PT between Jan 17th and Feb 28th.
In this fun and interactive class, kids get to listen to an enthralling African Folktale each week. As the stories are being told, participants will get to play different characters as they act out mini scenes from the tale (they are more than welcome to sit back and just watch if the prefer). They'll learn interesting facts about the country, culture, or history behind the story and they'll spend a few minutes discussing the important lessons they learned. Then we’ll wrap up the class with a simple paper art craft to remember the story.
This class will have the kids moving and talking as they act out scenes and eagerly wait to find out how the story ends. Ideal for kids aged 5 to 9 years old.
Stories in this class
1. Sunday Jan 17th - Anansi and the Yam hills
2. Sunday Jan 24th - The enchanting song of the magical bird
3. Sunday Jan 31st - How tortoise got a curved back
4. Sunday Feb 7th - Why girls like long hair
5. Sunday Feb 14th - Why lightning and thunder live in the sky
6. Sunday Feb 21st - Where do stories come from?
7. Sunday Feb 28th - The legend of Queen Moremi
Supplies Needed For Craft
• 1 to 2 pieces of paper
• Colored pencils, crayon or marker
• A pair of scissors
• Something to hold your craft – like a pencil, straw, ice cream stick etc.
Why Take This Class?
Learning about culture can either help children connect with their roots and appreciate their own history more, or it can help them better appreciate diversity so that they can respectfully interact and engage with people from different backgrounds. Plus, global awareness is highlighted by CEOs and educational experts as one of the most important skills that leaders of tomorrow need to possess in order to be successful in their careers.
Using folktales is a fun way for kids to learn about other cultures because who doesn’t love a good story? The stories in this class are captivating and entertaining, and are most likely like nothing the kids have heard before, which makes the session all that more enchanting. So, whether you want them to learn about culture or you are just looking for something for them to do, this class is sure to have your children captivated and entertained the whole way through.
- 6 Week Bundle$75+$1.88 Service fee$75+$1.88 Service fee0$0
- Jan 17th - Anansi & Yam Hills$14+$0.35 Service fee$14+$0.35 Service fee0$0
- Jan 24th - Magical Bird$14+$0.35 Service fee$14+$0.35 Service fee0$0
- Jan 31st - Tortoise Curved Bac$14+$0.35 Service fee$14+$0.35 Service fee0$0
- Feb 7th - Girls & Long Hair$14+$0.35 Service fee$14+$0.35 Service fee0$0
- Feb 14th - Lightning & Thunder$14+$0.35 Service fee$14+$0.35 Service fee0$0
- Feb 21st - Where Stories Come$14+$0.35 Service fee$14+$0.35 Service fee0$0
- Feb 28th - Queen Moremi$14+$0.35 Service fee$14+$0.35 Service fee0$0